Conditions Our Optometry Specialists Treat
Most people will experience eye problems at some point in their lives. Some eye conditions are temporary and will resolve themselves in time, while others require the care of a trained eye care specialist. Here at Dr. Landrio & Associates, in Merrick, NY, we provide a range of proven and effective eye care services that can reduce, manage, or eliminate your eye condition.
Common Eye Conditions
Below are the most common eye conditions we see and treat at our optometry practice on a regular basis.
- Eye Strain: An exceedingly common condition affecting those who work at computers, drive long distances, or perform other sight-intensive work. In many cases, simply resting can resolve the problem. But if eyestrain persists, treatment is recommended.
- Night Blindness: Many people complain that they have difficulty seeing at night. While low visibility in the dark is normal, excessively poor night vision is not. This condition can be caused by several conditions that require corrective lenses to fix the problem.
- Red Eye: Indicative of eye strain, a lack of sleep, or infection, red eye usually goes away on its own. When it does not, the help of an optometrist may be needed.
- Uveitis: This is a category of diseases that are typified by inflammation of the uvea, which is the middle layer of the eye containing most of the blood vessels of the eye. Symptoms include blurred vision and eye pain.
- Presbyopia: This condition is what happens when a person begins to lose long-distance vision. It begins when, typically after age forty, people begin holding reading material farther from their eyes.
- Floaters: Tiny spots or specks floating in the eyes are called floaters. They can be a minor annoyance. But sometimes they indicate a deeper and more serious problem such as a detaching retina.
- Dry Eyes: Dry eyes is a common problem that can be treated with a humidifier or eye drops, in many cases. In severe cases, it can lead to partial vision loss.
- Cataracts: A cloudy formation of the lens of the eye, cataracts can gradually increase until the patient loses vision completely, or they can remain small. Regular visits to your eye doctor are necessary for cataracts patients.
- Glaucoma: Caused by internal pressure in the eye, glaucoma can damage the optic nerve, leading to vision loss. It can be the result of an injury, blocked blood vessels, or inflammatory disorders.
- Problems with Contact Lenses: For those who require corrective lenses, but who do not or cannot wear glasses, contacts are a necessity. These lenses require careful cleaning and care. They also come with some risk of infection. Contact users will receive advice from their eye care professional on how to safely use their lenses.
Contact Our Optometry Team in Merrick Today
Here at Dr. Lori Landrio & Associates in Merrick, NY, we offer a wide variety of eye care services that can effectively treat many eye conditions. If you are suffering from an eye injury or disease, schedule an appointment with us today by calling 516-546-4800 or visit our website to contact us. We can help preserve your sight from the above conditions.